Did you know that there are over 600 million blogs in the world, but only a fraction of them make money? According to a survey by GrowthBadger, only 9% of bloggers earn more than $1,000 per month, and only 4% earn more than $10,000 per month.
If you want to start a blog, you might feel intimidated by these numbers. You might wonder how you can stand out from the crowd and attract loyal readers. You might also feel overwhelmed by the technical aspects, the content creation, and the marketing strategies involved in blogging.
You’re not alone. Many aspiring bloggers face these challenges and doubts. But don’t let them stop you from pursuing your passion and sharing your voice with the world. Blogging can be a rewarding and lucrative way to express your creativity, showcase your expertise, and connect with your audience.
You just need to follow some proven steps and best practices that will help you start a successful blog in [year]. In fact, blogging is not as hard as it seems, as long as you have a clear vision, a solid plan, and a willingness to learn.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to start a blog from scratch, from choosing your domain name and hosting provider to creating your content and monetizing your traffic. I’ll also share some tips and best practices from my own experience as a blogger who has built a six-figure blog from scratch.
By the end of this guide, you’ll have everything you need to launch your own blog and grow it into a profitable online business. So let’s get started!
Step 1: Choose Your Niche and Blog Name
One of the most important decisions you’ll make when starting a blog is choosing your niche. A niche is a specific topic or theme that you’ll focus on in your blog. It defines what kind of content you’ll create, who your target audience is, and how you’ll monetize your blog.
Choosing a niche is crucial for several reasons. First, it helps you stand out from the millions of other blogs out there. Second, it helps you attract and retain loyal readers who are interested in your topic. Third, it helps you establish your authority and credibility in your field. And fourth, it helps you align your blog with your interests, skills, and goals.
But how do you choose a niche that suits you?
Here are some tips to help you brainstorm and validate your niche idea:
- Start with your passions and hobbies. What do you love to do, learn, or talk about? What are you good at or want to improve on? What are your goals or dreams? Make a list of all the things that excite you and narrow it down to the ones that you can write about for a long time.
- Research popular and profitable niches. Some niches are more in demand and lucrative than others. For example, some of the most popular and profitable niches in [year] are personal finance, health and wellness, travel, food and drink, education, and online business. These niches have huge audiences, high earning potential, and plenty of subtopics to explore. You can use tools like Google Trends, BuzzSumo, or SEMrush to find out what topics are trending and what keywords are searched for in each niche.
- Find your unique angle or sub-niche. Once you have a general idea of what niche you want to pursue, you need to find a way to differentiate yourself from the competition. You can do this by choosing a sub-niche or a specific aspect of your niche that you’ll focus on. For example, if you want to start a travel blog, you can choose a sub-niche like solo travel, budget travel, luxury travel, adventure travel, or eco-friendly travel. You can also target a specific audience or demographic within your niche, such as millennials, women, seniors, or families.
- Validate your niche idea. Before you commit to your niche, you need to make sure that it has enough demand, potential, and profitability. You can do this by using keyword research tools like Google Keyword Planner or Ubersuggest to find out how many people are searching for your niche keywords every month. You can also check out your competitors’ blogs and see how they are doing in terms of traffic, engagement, and monetization. And finally, you can survey your potential audience and ask them what kind of content they want to see from you.
After choosing your niche, the next step is to choose a catchy and memorable blog name that reflects your niche and brand personality. Your blog name is the first impression you’ll make on your readers, so it should be easy to remember, spell, and pronounce. It should also be unique, relevant, and descriptive of what your blog is about.
Here are some tips on how to choose a good blog name:
- Use your own name or a variation of it. This is a simple and personal way to name your blog, especially if you want to build your personal brand or authority in your niche. For example, Neil Patel is a well-known blogger in the digital marketing niche who uses his own name as his blog name.
- Use a combination of words or phrases related to your niche. This is a creative and descriptive way to name your blog, especially if you want to convey what your blog is about or what value it offers to your readers. For example, Nomadic Matt is a popular travel blog that uses the word “nomadic” to imply adventure and freedom.
- Use a wordplay or a pun related to your niche. This is a fun and catchy way to name your blog, especially if you want to show off your humor or personality. For example, Pinch of Yum is a food blog that uses a pun on the phrase “pinch of salt” to imply deliciousness and flavor.
- Use an acronym or an abbreviation related to your niche. This is a short and snappy way to name your blog, especially if you want to make it easy to remember or type. For example, Nerd Fitness is a fitness blog that uses an acronym for “No Excuses Required Determination” to appeal to its geeky audience.
Once you have some ideas for your blog name, you need to check if they are available as domain names. A domain name is the web address of your blog that people will type in their browsers to access it. Ideally, your domain name should match your blog name exactly, and it should have a .com extension, as it is the most common and trusted one.
You can use tools like Namecheap, GoDaddy, or Domain.com to check the availability of your domain name ideas and register them. You can also use tools like NameMesh, LeanDomainSearch, or DomainWheel to generate more domain name ideas based on your keywords.
Step 2: Set Up Your Blog Platform and Hosting
After choosing your niche and blog name, the next step is to set up your blog platform and hosting. A blog platform is the software or service that you’ll use to create, manage, and publish your blog content. A hosting provider is the company that will store your blog files and make them accessible to your visitors on the internet.
There are many blog platforms and hosting providers available, but the best choice for most bloggers is WordPress and a WordPress-optimized hosting service. WordPress is the most popular and powerful blog platform in the world, powering over 43% of all websites on the internet.
WordPress is a free and open-source software that you can install on your own web server or use with a hosting service that offers WordPress installation.
WordPress gives you complete control and flexibility over your blog design, functionality, security, and SEO which is why it is our go-to CMS for designing websites here at Bliss Web Concept. You can customize your blog with thousands of themes and plugins, and add features like contact forms, social media integration, e-commerce, and more.
WordPress also has a large and active community of developers and users who provide support, updates, and resources. You can find tutorials, guides, forums, blogs, podcasts, courses, and events related to WordPress online.
To use WordPress for your blog, you’ll need a hosting provider that supports WordPress and offers good performance, reliability, support, scalability, and price. Hosting is essential for your blog’s success, as it affects how fast your site loads, how often it stays online, how secure it is from hackers, and how easy it is to manage.
Some of the criteria for choosing a good hosting provider are:
- Speed: Your hosting provider should offer fast servers, caching tools, CDN integration, and other features that improve your site speed. Site speed is important for user experience and SEO, as slow sites can lose visitors and rankings.
- Uptime: Your hosting provider should offer a high uptime guarantee, which means how often your site stays online without any downtime or errors. Uptime is important for user satisfaction and trust, as well as revenue generation if you monetize your blog.
- Support: Your hosting provider should offer 24/7 customer support via phone, chat, email, or ticket system. Support is important for resolving any issues or questions you may have with your hosting service or WordPress site.
- Scalability: Your hosting provider should offer plans that can accommodate your site’s growth in terms of traffic, storage, bandwidth, and features. Scalability is important for ensuring your site can handle increased demand without compromising performance or functionality.
- Price: Your hosting provider should offer plans that fit your budget and needs. Price is important for maximizing your return on investment and minimizing your expenses.
Some of the best hosting providers for WordPress are:
- Namecheap: Namecheap is a leading domain name registrar and hosting provider that offers WordPress hosting plans with free SSL certificate, one-click WordPress installation, automatic WordPress updates, 24/7 support, and more. They also offer features like Namecheap Cloud, free CDN, Jetpack plugin, and more. Their plans start from $22.88 per month (renews at $44.88 per year) with unmetered bandwidth. 3 hosted websites and SSD storage starting at 20GB.
- Hostinger: Hostinger is a fast-growing and affordable hosting provider that offers WordPress hosting plans with free SSL certificate, one-click WordPress installation, automatic WordPress updates, 24/7 support, and more. They also offer features like LiteSpeed cache, Cloudflare integration, Jetpack plugin, and more. Their plans start from $1.99 per month (renews at $23.99 per month) with unlimited bandwidth and SSD storage starting at 50GB.
- Bluehost: Bluehost is one of the largest and most reputable hosting companies in the world. They are also an official WordPress recommended hosting provider. They offer WordPress hosting plans that come with a free domain name, free SSL certificate, one-click WordPress installation, automatic WordPress updates, 24/7 support, and more. Their plans start from $2.95 per month (renews at $10.99 per month) with unmetered bandwidth and SSD storage starting at 10GB.
- SiteGround: SiteGround is another popular and highly-rated hosting provider in the WordPress community. They also offer WordPress optimized hosting plans that come with free SSL certificate, one-click WordPress installation, automatic WordPress updates, daily backups, 24/7 support, and more. They also offer features like staging sites, WP-CLI integration, Git integration, caching tools, CDN integration, and more. Their plans start from $2.99 per month (renews at $14.99 per month) with unmetered bandwidth and SSD storage starting at 10GB.
Step 3: Design Your Blog Theme and Layout
Once you have your blog platform and hosting set up, the next step is to design your blog theme and layout. A theme is a collection of templates, styles, and functions that define how your blog looks and works. A theme affects your blog’s appearance, user experience, functionality, and SEO.
Choosing a theme is an important step, as it can make or break your blog’s success. You want a theme that suits your niche, brand identity, and audience preferences. You also want a theme that is fast, responsive, secure, and easy to customize.
Here are some tips on how to choose a theme for your blog:
- Browse through the WordPress theme directory or other reputable sources for free or premium themes. You can find thousands of themes for different niches, styles, and features in the WordPress theme directory, which you can access from your WordPress dashboard or online. You can also find premium themes on sites like ThemeForest, Elegant Themes, StudioPress, etc., which offer more advanced options and support. Make sure to check the quality and ratings of the themes before you buy or download them.
- Preview and test the themes before you install them. You can preview how the themes look on your site by clicking on the Live Preview button in the WordPress theme directory or the demo links on other sites. You can also test the themes for speed, performance, compatibility, and SEO using tools like Google PageSpeed Insights, GTmetrix, Theme Check, etc.
- Install and customize your theme using the WordPress dashboard or a page builder plugin. Once you find a theme that you like, you can install it on your site by clicking on the Install button in the WordPress theme directory or uploading the theme files via FTP or WordPress dashboard. After installing the theme, you can customize it using the WordPress Customizer or a page builder plugin like Elementor, Beaver Builder, Divi, etc. These tools let you change the colors, fonts, layouts, widgets, menus, and other elements of your theme without coding.
Get inspired by other well-designed blogs in different niches. You can also look at other blogs in your niche or related niches to get some ideas on how to design your blog theme and layout. You can see what colors, fonts, images, icons, and other elements they use to create a unique and attractive look for their blogs. Here are some examples of well-designed blogs in different niches:
- Personal finance: The Penny Hoarder
- Health and wellness: Well+Good
- Travel: Nomadic Matt
- Food and drink: Pinch of Yum
- Education: Edutopia
- Home improvement and DIY: Young House Love
- Parenting: Scary Mommy
- Marketing and online business: Neil Patel
- Science and technology: Wired
- Outdoor lifestyle: REI Co-op Journal
- Video gaming: IGN
Step 4: Install Essential Plugins for Your Blog
After designing your blog theme and layout, the next step is to install essential plugins for your blog. Plugins are add-ons that extend the functionality and performance of your WordPress site. Plugins can help you add features like contact forms, social media buttons, SEO tools, security measures, and more.
Installing plugins is easy and can be done from your WordPress dashboard. However, you need to be careful about choosing and installing plugins that are compatible, updated, and secure. Installing too many or low-quality plugins can slow down your site, cause conflicts, or expose it to hackers.
Here are some tips on how to choose and install plugins for your blog:
- Only install plugins that you need and use. Don’t install plugins just because they sound cool or have good reviews. Only install plugins that serve a specific purpose or solve a problem for your blog. Uninstall or deactivate any plugins that you don’t use or need anymore.
- Only install plugins from reputable sources. Don’t install plugins from unknown or shady sources. Only install plugins from the WordPress plugin directory or other trusted sites like CodeCanyon, etc. Check the ratings, reviews, and support of the plugins before you install them.
- Only install plugins that are compatible with your WordPress version and theme. Don’t install plugins that are outdated or incompatible with your WordPress version or theme. Check the compatibility information of the plugins before you install them. Update your plugins regularly to ensure they work well with the latest WordPress updates.
- Only install plugins that are secure and well-coded. Don’t install plugins that are poorly coded or have security vulnerabilities. Check the developer’s credentials and reputation before you install their plugins. Use security plugins like Sucuri or Wordfence to scan your site for any malware or suspicious activity.
Some of the essential plugins for every WordPress blog are:
- Yoast SEO: Yoast SEO is the best plugin for SEO optimization of your blog. It helps you improve your site’s visibility and ranking on search engines by providing you with tools and guidance to optimize your content, titles, meta descriptions, keywords, sitemaps, breadcrumbs, schema markup, and more.
- Akismet: Akismet is the best plugin for spam protection of your blog. It helps you keep spam out of your WordPress comment section by automatically analyzing comments and filtering out ones that look like spam.
- Jetpack: Jetpack is a powerful plugin that offers a suite of features for your blog, such as analytics, security, backup, performance, social media integration, contact forms, email subscriptions, image optimization, and more.
- OptinMonster: OptinMonster is the best plugin for lead generation and conversion optimization of your blog. It helps you grow your email list and increase your sales by creating and displaying eye-catching popups, banners, slide-ins, spin wheels, and other opt-in forms on your site.
- WPForms: WPForms is the best plugin for creating and managing contact forms on your blog. It helps you create beautiful and responsive forms with a drag-and-drop builder and integrate them with popular email marketing services like Mailchimp, AWeber, etc.
To install and activate these plugins (or any other plugins), follow these steps:
- Go to Plugins > Add New in your WordPress dashboard.
- Search for the plugin name in the search box or upload the plugin file if you have downloaded it from another source.
- Click on Install Now and then Activate.
- Go to the plugin settings page to configure and customize the plugin according to your needs.
Step 5: Create Your Main Pages and Menu
After installing essential plugins for your blog, the next step is to create your main pages and menu. Pages are static content that provide information about your blog, your brand, and your services. Pages are important for your blog’s structure and navigation, as they help your visitors find what they are looking for and learn more about you.
Creating engaging and informative pages is crucial for your blog’s success, as they showcase your brand identity, value proposition, and credibility. You want to create pages that capture your visitors’ attention, communicate your message clearly, and persuade them to take action.
Here are some tips on how to create pages for your blog:
- Use a clear and catchy headline that summarizes the main point of your page.
- Use subheadings, bullet points, images, videos, and other elements to break up your text and make it easier to read and scan.
- Use a friendly, conversational, and consistent tone that reflects your brand personality and voice.
- Use keywords, links, and calls to action strategically to optimize your pages for SEO and conversions.
- Proofread and edit your pages for grammar, spelling, and clarity.
Some of the main pages that every blog should have are:
- About Me (or Us): This is where you introduce yourself or your team, and share your story, mission, vision, values, and goals. You can also highlight your credentials, achievements, awards, testimonials, or social proof. The purpose of this page is to build trust and rapport with your visitors and show them why they should follow you or work with you.
- Contact Me (or Us): This is where you provide your contact information and invite your visitors to get in touch with you. You can also include a contact form, a map, or a chat widget to make it easier for them to reach you. The purpose of this page is to encourage communication and feedback from your visitors and potential clients or partners.
- Disclaimer: This is where you state the limitations of your liability and responsibility for the content or services you provide on your site. You can also disclose any affiliations, endorsements, sponsorships, or partnerships you have with other brands or organizations. The purpose of this page is to protect yourself from legal issues and conflicts of interest.
To create pages for your blog, you can use the WordPress editor or a page builder plugin like Elementor or Divi. The WordPress editor lets you create pages using blocks that you can add, move, edit, or delete. The page builder plugins let you create pages using drag-and-drop elements that you can customize with more options.
To create a page using the WordPress editor, follow these steps:
- Go to Pages > Add New in your WordPress dashboard.
- Enter a title for your page in the title box.
- Add blocks to create the content of your page. You can choose from different types of blocks like paragraphs, headings, images, videos, lists, buttons, etc.
- Customize each block using the block toolbar or the block settings on the right sidebar.
- Preview and publish your page when you are done.
To create a menu that links to your main pages using the WordPress dashboard or appearance settings, follow these steps:
- Go to Appearance > Menus in your WordPress dashboard.
- Enter a name for your menu in the menu name box and click on Create a new Menu.
- Select the pages that you want to add to your menu from the left sidebar and click on Add to Menu.
- Drag and drop the menu items to arrange them in the order that you want.
- Select the location where you want to display your menu from the menu settings at the bottom.
- Save your menu when you are done.
Step 6: Plan Your Content Strategy
After creating your main pages and menu, the next step is to plan your content strategy. Content strategy is the process of planning, creating, and distributing content that attracts, engages, and converts your target audience.
Content strategy is crucial for your blog’s success, as it helps you achieve your goals, such as increasing traffic, generating leads, building trust, or making sales.
Planning your content strategy involves researching your niche, audience needs, goals, and keywords, and creating a content calendar that outlines your topics, titles, formats, and publishing dates.
Here are some tips on how to plan your content strategy for your blog:
- Research your niche. You need to understand what topics are relevant and popular in your niche, what problems or questions your audience has, what solutions or answers they are looking for, and what gaps or opportunities exist in the market. You can use tools like Google Trends, BuzzSumo, or Quora to find out what topics are trending and what questions are being asked in your niche.
- Research your audience. You need to understand who your target audience is, what their demographics, psychographics, and behaviors are, what their goals and challenges are, and what their content preferences and consumption habits are. You can use tools like Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, or SurveyMonkey to collect data and feedback from your audience.
- Research your goals. You need to understand what you want to achieve with your content strategy, how you will measure your success, and how you will align your content with your business objectives. You can use tools like SMART goals or OKRs to set specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound goals for your content strategy.
- Research your keywords. You need to understand what keywords your audience is using to search for information related to your niche, how competitive and profitable those keywords are, and how you can optimize your content for those keywords. You can use tools like Google Keyword Planner, Ubersuggest, or Semrush to conduct keyword research and analysis.
- Create a content calendar. You need to create a content calendar that outlines what content you will create, when you will create it, how you will create it, where you will publish it, and how you will promote it. You can use tools like Google Sheets, Trello, or CoSchedule to create and manage your content calendar.
Step 7: Write Your First Blog Post
After planning your content strategy, the next step is to write your first blog post. A blog post is a piece of content that provides information, insights, opinions, or stories on a specific topic or theme. A blog post differs from a page in terms of purpose, length, and tone.
Writing a captivating and valuable blog post is essential for your blog’s success, as it helps you attract and retain your readers’ attention, build trust and rapport with them, and persuade them to take action.
Here are some tips on how to write a blog post for your blog:
- Choose a topic that is relevant and interesting to your niche and audience. You can use your keyword research, content calendar, or audience feedback to find topics that are in demand and resonate with your readers.
- Write a catchy headline that summarizes the main point of your blog post and entices your readers to click and read more. You can use tools like CoSchedule Headline Analyzer or Sharethrough Headline Analyzer to test and improve your headlines.
- Write a hook that grabs your readers’ attention and makes them want to continue reading. You can use a question, a statistic, a quote, a story, or a shocking fact to hook your readers in the first sentence or paragraph of your blog post.
- Write an introduction that introduces the topic of your blog post, explains why it’s important or relevant to your readers, and previews what you’re going to cover in the rest of the post. You can also include a thesis statement that states the main argument or claim of your blog post.
- Write a body that supports your thesis statement with evidence, examples, data, or stories. You can use subheadings, bullet points, images, videos, or other elements to organize and format your body paragraphs. You can also use transitions, connectors, or signposts to guide your readers through your blog post.
- Write a conclusion that summarizes the main points of your blog post, restates your thesis statement, and provides a clear takeaway or action step for your readers. You can also include a call to action that invites your readers to comment, share, subscribe, buy, or do something else related to your blog post.
- Proofread and edit your blog post for grammar, spelling, clarity, and accuracy. You can use tools like Grammarly or Hemingway to check and improve your writing.
To write and format your blog post using the WordPress editor or a writing tool, follow these steps:
- Go to Posts > Add New in your WordPress dashboard.
- Enter your headline in the title box.
- Add blocks to create the content of your blog post. You can choose from different types of blocks like paragraphs, headings, images, videos, lists, buttons, etc.
- Customize each block using the block toolbar or the block settings on the right sidebar.
- Preview and publish your blog post when you are done.
The interface for adding new blog post is just like that of adding a page but with some few additions like category and tag selection etc.
Step 8: Optimize Your Blog Post for SEO
After writing your first blog post, the next step is to optimize your blog post for SEO. SEO stands for search engine optimization, which is the process of improving your site’s visibility and ranking on search engines like Google. SEO is vital for your blog’s visibility and traffic, as it helps you reach more potential readers who are searching for information related to your niche.
Optimizing your blog post for SEO involves using the Yoast SEO plugin, RankMath SEO plugin or other tools and plugins to apply SEO best practices to your content, such as using keywords, adding meta tags and descriptions, using internal and external links, adding images and alt text, etc.
Here are some tips on how to optimize your blog post for SEO using the Yoast SEO plugin or other tools:
- Use keywords in your title, URL, headings, and content. Keywords are the words or phrases that your target audience is using to search for information related to your niche. You should use keywords that are relevant, popular, and low-competition in your blog post to match the search intent of your readers and rank higher on Google. You can use tools like Google Keyword Planner, Ubersuggest, or Semrush to find and analyze keywords for your blog post.
- Add meta tags and descriptions. Meta tags and descriptions are snippets of text that appear on the search engine results page (SERP) and describe what your blog post is about. They help Google and your readers understand the content and relevance of your blog post. You should add meta tags and descriptions that include your main keyword, summarize the main point of your blog post, and entice your readers to click and read more. You can use the Yoast SEO plugin or other tools to add meta tags and descriptions to your blog post.
- Use internal and external links. Internal links are links that point to other pages or posts on your own site. External links are links that point to other sites or sources outside of your site. Both types of links help Google and your readers navigate your site, find more information, and establish your authority and credibility. You should use internal and external links that are relevant, helpful, and trustworthy in your blog post. You can use the Yoast SEO plugin or other tools to check and manage the links in your blog post.
- Add images and alt text. Images are visual elements that enhance your blog post’s appearance, readability, and engagement. Alt text is a text description that explains what an image is about. It helps Google and visually impaired readers understand the content and context of your image. You should add images that are relevant, high-quality, and optimized for size and speed in your blog post. You should also add alt text that includes your main keyword, describes the image accurately, and complements the content of your blog post. You can use the WordPress editor or other tools to add images and alt text to your blog post.
To check and improve your SEO score using the Yoast SEO plugin or other tools, follow these steps:
- Install and activate the Yoast SEO plugin or other tools on your WordPress site.
- Go to Posts > All Posts in your WordPress dashboard.
- Find the blog post that you want to optimize for SEO and click on Edit.
- Scroll down to the Yoast SEO meta box below the WordPress editor.
- Check the SEO analysis tab for any suggestions or errors regarding your title, URL, meta description, keywords, readability, links, images, etc.
- Follow the suggestions or fix the errors to improve your SEO score.
- Update or publish your blog post when you are done.
Step 9: Promote Your Blog Post on Social Media
After optimizing your blog post for SEO, the next step is to promote your blog post on social media. Social media is a collective term for online platforms and apps that allow users to create and share content, communicate, and interact with others. Social media is an effective way to market your blog and reach new audiences, as it helps you increase your exposure, traffic, engagement, and loyalty.
Promoting your blog post on social media involves choosing the best social media platforms for your niche and audience, creating and sharing engaging and shareable content, and following social media best practices.
Here are some tips on how to promote your blog post on social media using tools such as Buffer, Hootsuite, etc.
- Choose the best social media platforms for your niche and audience. You don’t need to be on every social media platform, but you should focus on the ones that are most relevant and popular for your niche and audience. For example, if you have a food blog, you might want to use Instagram and Pinterest to showcase your recipes and photos. If you have a marketing blog, you might want to use Twitter and LinkedIn to share your insights and tips. You can use websites like Pew Research Center or Sprout Social to find out which social media platforms are most used by your target audience.
- Create engaging and shareable content. You don’t want to just copy and paste your blog post title and link on social media. You want to create content that captures your followers’ attention, sparks their curiosity, and encourages them to click and read more. You can use different types of content, such as images, videos, infographics, quotes, polls, questions, etc., to make your posts more appealing and varied. You can also use tools like Canva or Adobe Express to create stunning visuals for your posts.
- Use hashtags and keywords. Hashtags are words or phrases preceded by a hash sign (#) that categorize and organize your posts on social media. Keywords are words or phrases that describe the topic or theme of your posts. Both hashtags and keywords help you increase your visibility, reach, and relevance on social media. You should use hashtags and keywords that are relevant, popular, and specific to your niche and audience. You can use tools like Hashtagify or RiteTag to find and analyze hashtags for your posts.
- Post regularly and consistently. Posting regularly and consistently helps you maintain your presence, grow your following, and build trust and loyalty on social media. You should post at least once a day on each platform, but not too much that you spam or annoy your followers. You should also post at the best times when your followers are most active and likely to see and engage with your posts. You can use tools like Buffer or Hootsuite to schedule your posts in advance and optimize them for each platform.
- Interact with your followers. Interacting with your followers helps you build relationships, feedback, and advocacy on social media. You should respond to comments, messages, mentions, shares, reviews, etc., that you receive from your followers. You should also like, comment, share, follow, etc., other users’ posts that are relevant or interesting to you.
Step 10: Grow Your Email List and Newsletter
After promoting your blog post on social media, the next step is to grow your email list and newsletter. Email marketing is the process of sending promotional messages or newsletters to a list of subscribers via email. Email marketing is one of the most powerful ways to build trust and loyalty with your readers and customers, as it helps you communicate directly, personally, and consistently with them.
Growing your email list involves using various methods to entice your readers to provide their email addresses in exchange for something valuable, such as a freebie or a lead magnet. Creating and sending your newsletter involves using tools or services to design, deliver, and manage your email campaigns.
Here are some tips on how to grow your email list and newsletter using tools such as Mailchimp, ConvertKit, etc.
- Offer freebies or lead magnets. Freebies or lead magnets are incentives that you offer to your readers in exchange for their email addresses. They can be anything that is relevant, useful, and valuable to your niche and audience, such as ebooks, checklists, templates, courses, webinars, etc. You should create freebies or lead magnets that solve a specific problem or answer a specific question for your readers.
- Add opt-in forms or pop-ups to your blog. Opt-in forms or pop-ups are forms that appear on your blog and ask your readers to subscribe to your email list. They can be placed anywhere on your blog, such as the sidebar, the footer, the header, the end of a post, etc. They can also be triggered by different actions, such as scrolling, clicking, exiting, etc. You should add opt-in forms or pop-ups that are eye-catching, clear, and compelling to your blog. You can use tools like OptinMonster or Sumo to add opt-in forms or pop-ups to your blog.
- Create landing pages or squeeze pages. Landing pages or squeeze pages are pages that are dedicated to capturing your readers’ email address. They usually have a single purpose and a single call to action. They can be linked from your blog posts, social media posts, ads, etc. You should create landing pages or squeeze pages that are simple, focused, and persuasive for your blog. You can use tools like Leadpages or Unbounce to create landing pages or squeeze pages for your blog.
- Use tools and services for creating and managing your email list and newsletter. Tools and services like Mailchimp, ConvertKit, etc., help you create and manage your email list and newsletter. They help you design, deliver, and track your email campaigns. They also help you segment, personalize, automate, and optimize your email campaigns. You should use tools and services that are easy to use, reliable, and affordable for your blog.
- Create and send your newsletter using templates or tools. Templates or tools like Mailchimp, ConvertKit, etc., help you create and send your newsletter using pre-designed or customizable layouts and features. They help you craft engaging and valuable newsletters that inform, educate, entertain, or inspire your subscribers. They also help you test and improve your newsletters using analytics and feedback. You should create and send newsletters that are relevant, consistent, and timely for your blog.
Step 11: Monetize Your Blog Traffic
After growing your email list and newsletter, the next step is to monetize your blog traffic. Blog monetization is the process of generating revenue from your blog traffic, either by selling your own products or services, or by promoting other people’s products or services.
Monetization is the ultimate goal of most bloggers who want to make money online, as it helps you turn your passion into profit.
Monetizing your blog traffic involves choosing the best monetization methods for your niche and audience, such as display ads, affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, product reviews, digital products, etc., and implementing and managing them using tools and platforms such as Google Adsense, Amazon Associates, ShareASale, etc.
Here are some tips on how to monetize your blog traffic using tools and platforms such as Google Adsense, Amazon Associates, ShareASale, etc.
- Choose the best monetization methods for your niche and audience. You don’t have to use all the monetization methods available, but you should focus on the ones that are most suitable and profitable for your niche and audience. For example, if you have a travel blog, you might want to use display ads and affiliate marketing to earn commissions from travel-related products or services.
If you have a marketing blog, you might want to use sponsored posts and product reviews to earn fees from marketing-related brands or tools. You can use sources or data such as Google Trends, BuzzSumo, or Quora to find out what products or services are in demand and resonate with your niche and audience.
- Use tools and platforms for implementing and managing your monetization methods. Tools and platforms like Google Adsense, Amazon Associates, ShareASale, etc., help you implement and manage your monetization methods. They help you display ads, promote products or services, track clicks or sales, and receive payments. You should use tools and platforms that are easy to use, reliable, and reputable for your blog.
- Implement and manage your monetization methods using tools and platforms. Tools and platforms like Google Adsense, Amazon Associates, ShareASale, etc., help you implement and manage your monetization methods using different features and functions. They help you create ad units or banners, generate affiliate links or codes, apply for sponsored campaigns or deals, etc. You should implement and manage your monetization methods according to the guidelines and best practices of each tool or platform.
- Track and optimize your earnings using analytics and reports. Tools and platforms like Google Adsense, Amazon Associates, ShareASale, etc., also help you track and optimize your earnings using analytics and reports. They help you monitor your traffic, impressions, clicks, conversions, revenue, etc. You should track and optimize your earnings using metrics such as CTR (click-through rate), CPC (cost per click), RPM (revenue per thousand impressions), CR (conversion rate), EPC (earnings per click), etc.
You’ve just learned how to start a successful blog in [year] in 11 easy steps. To recap, here are the main points of the guide:
- Choose a niche that is profitable, passionate, and purposeful.
- Pick a domain name that is memorable, relevant, and brandable.
- Select a web hosting plan that is fast, secure, and reliable.
- Install WordPress and customize your blog design and settings.
- Install essential plugins for your blog functionality and security.
- Write your first blog post using SEO best practices and engaging content.
- Promote your blog post on social media using various strategies and tools.
- Grow your email list and newsletter using freebies, opt-in forms, and landing pages.
- Monetize your blog traffic using display ads, affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, etc.
Starting a successful blog in [year] can bring you many benefits and value, such as:
- Expressing yourself creatively and sharing your knowledge or passion with the world.
- Building your personal brand and authority in your niche or industry.
- Connecting with like-minded people and growing your network or community.
- Generating income from your blog traffic or selling your own products or services.
You may have some objections or concerns about starting a blog in [year], such as:
- Lack of time: You may think that you don’t have enough time to start and maintain a blog. However, you can start a blog with just a few hours a week, and you can use tools like Buffer or Hootsuite to schedule your posts and social media in advance. You can also outsource some tasks like writing, editing, or designing to freelancers or agencies if you have the budget.
- Lack of money: You may think that you need a lot of money to start and run a blog. However, you can start a blog with just a few dollars a month, and you can use free or low-cost tools like WordPress, Canva, or Mailchimp to create and manage your blog. You can also monetize your blog using various methods to earn back your investment and more.
- Lack of skills: You may think that you need a lot of skills to start and grow a blog. However, you can learn the basics of blogging from online courses, blogs, podcasts, or books. You can also use user-friendly tools like WordPress, OptinMonster, or Leadpages to create and optimize your blog without coding or design skills.
Don’t let these objections or concerns stop you from starting your own blog today. Blogging is one of the best ways to share your voice, reach your audience, and make money online. All you need is a niche, a domain name, a web hosting plan, WordPress, and some content to get started.
If you’re ready to start your own blog today, follow the steps in this guide and use the resources we’ve provided. You’ll be amazed by what you can achieve with blogging in [year].
I hope you found this guide helpful and informative. If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you. Happy blogging!
FAQs About Starting a Blog in [year]
I want to start a blog and make money, where do I get started?
You can start by picking a blogging platform. WordPress is a great option. After that, choose a blog topic that you’re passionate about, set up your blog, start writing and post regularly on it. Building an audience is the key to make money from your blog.
How does a new blog get its blog post ideas?
The best source for new blog post ideas is from your industry or niche. Follow industry leaders, attend events and network. Your own experiences and customer questions can also become blog topic sources. Always remember to tailor it to your audience’s interests.
How can I start a blog and get it online?
First, you need to select a blogging platform. WordPress is widely used and has many features. After that, choose a host for your blog, pick a domain name for your blog and install WordPress to get your blog online. It’s a simple and straightforward process.
What free blogging platforms can I start with to make my blog?
Some free blogging platforms to start with are WordPress.com, Blogger, and Tumblr. However, keep in mind that free platforms come with limitations. When you’re serious about blogging and start to get your blog to make money, a self-hosted WordPress blog is highly recommended.
Can bloggers make good money from a new blog?
Yes, bloggers can make good money. However, it depends on the level of effort they put into creating quality content, SEO, marketing, and monetizing. Initially, income may be slow, but as your blog grows with high-quality and consistent posts, so will your earning potential.
I want to start a successful blog in [year], how can I make it profitable?
To make your blog profitable, you need to create quality content regularly, focus on good SEO practices, promote your blog actively and monetize it through ads, sponsored posts or affiliate marketing. The more targeted your blog is, the easier it is to make it profitable.
How do I make money blogging?
There are several ways to make money blogging. The most common ones are display advertising, affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, selling digital products or services, and launched online courses. Success usually comes after a lot of hard work and patience.
What should be the topic for my new blog?
The blog topic should be something you are interested in and knowledgeable about. Passion for the topic helps drive content creation and reader engagement. Choosing a niche where you can provide unique value can also help your blog become profitable faster.
How can I create a wordpress blog and start making money in [year]?
Creating a WordPress blog involves selecting a host, domain name setup, installing WordPress, and choosing a theme. Then, populate your blog page with consistent high-quality content. To start making money, you can apply for Adsense, embed affiliate links, or sell digital products on your site.